A gun safe is a very essential thing to own if you are someone who has multiple firearms in their house. If you have children, then you definitely should invest in one of the best gun safe in order to avoid any mishaps.
Why you should own a gun safe?
If you are an owner of even just one firearm, you should own a gun safe. In some states of the United States, such as California, if your gun gets stolen and you didn’t have a gun safe when it was stolen, you can potentially face liability.
How to pick the best gun safe for your needs?
There are many different types of gun safes out there available on the market, but they’re all created differently with different locking mechanism, materials, and so on. Therefore, it can be a bit hard to pick the best gun safe for your needs, but don’t worry, I’m here to help you out.
Quite a lot of research is required in order to make sure that you end up with the perfect gun safe that will not only be durable and affordable, but will also serve its ultimate purpose.
At the moment, in the United States, no regularity standards have been placed upon gun safes, therefore you don’t have worry about how the gun safe looks or what is its size, just make sure that you don’t end up buying a cheap and low quality gun safe that will not last for very long.
If you make your investment smartly, chances are that your gun safe will last you a lifetime. There are many high quality fun safe manufacturers out there that produce solid safes which can last for a lifetime with barely any maintenance.
What are the benefits of using a gun safe?
You might be wondering that whats the point of owning a gun if you are going to keep it locked up in a safe? Well, you should keep the gun safe within your reach, therefore in case of a break-in or a hostile situation, you can easily access your guns.
Moreover, gun safes also have some other very important advantages:
In case of a burglary, your guns won’t be stolen, bear in mind that if your gun is stolen, its not only a loss of the money that you used to purchase the gun with, if your gun is used by the thieves in a crime, you can get into some deep trouble, therefore you should keep your guns locked away in a safe place
Also, if you’re a parent, your children won’t be able to accidentally discover a firearm in your house and potentially hurt themselves or somebody else if the guns are locked inside a safe.
Therefore, it is a very good idea to buy a gun safe as soon as you buy your first gun, especially if you live in a state where it’s required to keep your guns inside a safe.
Different types of gun safes
Just like any other product, gun safes also differ in characteristics, capacity, security level and so on, therefore, to find the best gun safe, it is required that you have a better understanding of the price ranges and security levels of different type of gun safes.
The factors on which gun safes are classified are the capacity and type of guns that can be stored in the gun safe as well as the type of locking mechanism used in the safe. Some of the main types of gun safes are given below:
- Fingerprint/Biometric Gun Safes: Biometric gun safes (also known as fingerprint gun safes) use a very secure locking system that require fingerprints to open the gun safe. You can program these gun safes according to your need and give access to multiple people, and because you don’t have to type in any digits or use a key, accessing your gun inside a biometric gun safe takes no more than a few moments, these type of guns are definitely one of the best type of gun safes out there. These gun safes are surely a bit expensive as compared to a few other types of gun safes, but they are certainly worth their price. Make sure to buy a quality biometric gun safe, because if you buy a cheap one from an unknown company, it might just fail and let you down. Therefore, it is important to watch out for customer reviews when it comes to buying a biometric gun safe.
- Pistol/Handgun Safes: These are quite small gun safes because as you can probably tell by the name, they’re designed to hold small handguns or pistols. Some models of these gun safes are even small enough to be placed inside a drawer, this makes these safes ideal to be carried around even in a car due to their small size. These safes are only large enough for you to store your small pistols or handguns in them, if you have long guns or rifles, you shouldn’t buy a handgun safe. And if you plan on buying long guns in the near future, you should invest money in a long gun safe so you can keep expanding your gun collection without running out of space in your gun safe.
- Dial Gun Safes: These gun safes are one of the most reliable type of safes, they use a good old-school dial mechanism to lock the safe, complex technology is not used in these types of safes, therefore they rarely fail as compared to the fancy safes out there. But everything has a down side, even though these safes are very secure, you won’t be able to access your guns in a moments notice, depending on the combination, it can take you quite some time to access your gun(s) in emergency situations. But a good thing about these safes is that they don’t require any power supplied to them, unless of course the safe has features such as lighting and/or dehumidifiers that need power to operate. Overall, dial gun safes offer real security and are also quite affordable.
- Digital Gun Safes: Unlike dial gun safes, digital/electronic gun safes don’t have a key or a combination required in order to open them, they open by entering a code on the dial pad, therefore, these safes can also be opened within a moments notice, which is a very good feature to have. But a downside of digital gun safes is that the dial pad mostly runs on battery, so you need to have backup batteries in your house and change the batteries before they run out to ensure the functioning of the gun safe. You would also need to change the safe’s code pretty often because these dial pads usually start to show signs of wear and tear on the keys, and that can hint on what the code is, therefore, changing the code of the safe every now and then is required in order to make sure that the gun safe provides maximum security.
- Long Gun Safes: These gun safes are much larger and longer as compared to other types of gun safes, they can store long guns and can also store many of these guns, if you have the budget, buying a long gun safe is definitely the best choice as you could keep increasing your gun collection by adding more and more guns and it’ll take quite a lot of guns before you run out of space. Some of these safes also come with outer compartments in order to keep accessories such as gun cleaning supplies outside of the safe. You can store all sorts of guns inside a long gun safe, these type of gun safes are definitely one of the best gun safes to buy.
As you can guess, every gun owner has different choices and different needs as well as different budgets, before buying a gun safe, you definitely should do some more research on different types of gun safes and locking mechanism they use in order to get the most value out of your money.
Picking the right sized gun safe
There are many different factors when it comes to picking a gun safe, and one of the most important factor is the actual size of the safe.
It is suggested that you should purchase a gun safe that is a bit bigger than your current needs because you never know when you’ll end up expanding your gun collection.
Moreover, you can store other things inside a gun safe too if its large enough, therefore, buying a gun safe that is larger than the requirement of your guns is a pretty good idea.
The best method is to measure all the items you plan to store inside the gun safe, and then purchase a safe that is slightly bigger than the required size, because you’ll go through the extra space quicker that you’ll even realize.
But remember, don’t over do it too much, while it is important to have a large enough safe for your needs, it is also required that you keep it as small as possible.
The main reason to have a gun safe is to increase security, but if your safe is too big and completely/partially visible, it will become the main target of burglars in case of a burglary.
Therefore, it is important to have a safe that you can hide, whether it be in your basement or inside your closet, it is important to not let you safe be visible.
Tips on picking the best gun safe
It is important that you pick a gun safe that provides a lot of protection, because your gun collection can keep growing and end up to be 10s of thousands of dollars in worth, so don’t go cheap on a gun safe, spend your money wisely and pick the perfect gun safe for your needs.
It is also very important that you invest in a gun safe that is fireproof, because burglars and kids aren’t the only things you need to protect your guns from.
If you can’t afford a fireproof safe, then try to fireproof your gun safe by yourself, you can install a sprinkle directly above the safe, and take other steps in order to ensure that your safe will be safe in case of a fire. But of course, its better to just buy a fireproof safe all together.
Buying a gun safe when you’re on a budget?
If you have the time to wait for a bargain, you can definitely find a very good gun safe for less than $1,000 on online stores such as Amazon.
If you’re on a tight budget, make sure to not buy and extremely heavy gun safe so you won’t have to pay extra to get the safe moved and installed in your home.
If you’re looking for a small gun safe just for your pistol, you can find these type of safes for less than $200, but don’t forget, you get what you pay for, so don’t go too cheap when buying a gun safe.
If you’re not in too much of a hurry, its always a good idea to save up some more before buying a gun safe, because an extremely good gun safe that will likely last for a lifetime can cost anywhere between $1,500 – $5,000.
Investing your money in a cheap safe is not a good idea because they’re easier to break into using power tools or brute force methods.
You should also consider paying for the warranty too, because if the locking mechanism of a complex safe ever runs into an issue, calling a professional and getting it fixed yourself will cost a lot of money, probably more than the money you saved by not paying for the warranty.
The best option for you is to buy the gun safe of your needs from a store like Amazon.com, where they have bargains quite often and also have free shipping options, which will safe you quite a lot of money as compared to going to a gun shop and taking the safe home yourself.